Sunday 7 July 2013

A Blanket for Child #1

Child #1 had requested a blanket a few times, especially when I did any work on the knitted blanket for child #2. Felling a bit guilty that I hadn't done anything towards it yet I loaded up the blog of a great blanket maker and told Child #1 to have a look for one she liked but remember that we use whatever colours she wanted. After about 3 or 4 minutes (! it takes me hours to decide) she showed me this one: Pink Dasies

Whilst I don't love it, I was still happy to make it for her. I asked her about colours and she said 'make it with baby pinks and blues and things'. I was even less impressed now. Tentatively, last Sunday I decided to find some scraps in the 'right colours' and make a couple of sample squares for her to pick from. I made one that was yellow and white in the centre, and then baby pink, and then pale blue. Then I made another but switched the pink and blue around. They were awful. So I made another. just like the blanket she picked but just with shades of blue instead of the pink. I loved it. I hoped so much that she would too. True to my word I presented the ones with pink and blue in. Then I held up the ones with only blue. She smiled, and said 'yeah, that's way nicer' PHEW!!!

So before she could change her mind, I made another 3 and joined them all together!... 


She loves it too. 

So, I had a quick go at guessing how big I should make it and I was thinking that 9 by 9 would be a good size. So that's 81 squares. Not too bad really. A little later I was sat in the kitchen while she was sorting washing (!) and casually asked 'So how big do you want this blanket then?' 

'Not too big" she said. 

Hmmm....I just love subjective answers don't you?? "Ok, but how big is 'not too big' then?" I fetched the sofa ripple blanket that I finished last year. "This big?"

She looked, head tilted, "About 2 squares bigger."

I measured against the squares I had already done. 12 x 12 then. 144 SQUARES then!!! Wow.

I got going a bit faster!


I'm still going now. For some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...