Sunday 17 February 2013

My First Quilt

I am so impatient sometimes. I tried to wait until I got back to work to complete the quilt but I just couldn't. It was also nice to prove that my cheap, but very hard working, sewing machine can cope very well when it needs to. So Thursday morning was spent quilting and now my first ever quilt lies on the back of the big sofa....


Being my first ever quilt I didn't attempt anything fancy (and even I have to admit to the limitations of said sewing machine). I just sewed a wiggly line alone the vertical strips, length ways.


I did, however, take the time to add some little golden yellow quilting cotton stitching along the edge of the border, in zig zag...


It might not be my favourite creation but I do have to admit that it now looks pretty good for a first attempt. Being my first ever quilt I guess it will also always have a little sentimental value too. Of course, I am now hunting for inspiration for my next quilt.

To be honest, this half term has been pretty dull - partly due to the weather, but the nest's individual commitments, my very modest bank balance and forthcoming expenses, and the desire to restore much needed order and cleanliness at Vivod also played a part.

I did dedicate some time to helping child #2 sort her room out. She requested hanging rails in her room like I had supplied for Child #1. This meant that, by utilising the shelves I put up, she could eliminate the need for her tired old wardrobes and chest of drawers. Her room isn't yet finished (if it was me I wouldn't be able to rest until it was...she is so unlike me sometimes that if it wasn't for the fact that she was born at home, I would investigate the possibility that she was switched at birth!). On Thursday afternoon we dismantled them and took them to skips (which, as a I drive a Ford Fiesta, involved a significant amount of sawing doors etc in half - I paid the price for that the following day!). I did get a bit nostalgic during the dismantling phase. I remember buying the wardrobe and chest of drawers from IKEA several years ago when the girls were about 6 and 8 and shared a room which had just been redecorated in girly pink and purple. I had to save hard to buy them, and yet there I was sawing bits of them in half to take to the skips, glad to see the back of them! In all fairness, child #2's room is quite small and they did take up a lot of space.

On Friday, as the nest were at their dad's this weekend I did lots and lots of cleaning. I really didn't think this through properly when we moved. The old house would take me 2-3 hours to clean from top to bottom, this one takes at least twice that! It did mean that I could have a very chilled out weekend though. 

So what did I do? I crocheted of course! I picked up the ripple blanket and decided that I could get it finished within a week or two if I set my mind to it. It seems I am on a roll with reviving dormant projects at present. I will keep you posted with my progress!

Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...