Saturday 27 October 2012

Hooks and Ripples

Hello! Well a whole week has passed since my last update and I'm pleased to say that Child #3 has almost completely recovered and is pestering to get back to the skate park. We don't have many plans for this half term yet but I will muster the courage to take him back there at some point I'm sure.

This week has been busy but thankfully I now get a week off to do what I like with. Work was a little stressful due to the end of year audit but despite a last minute hiccup it all went ok.

To keep myself sane during the audit I did make sure that I spent a bit of time each evening working on either the 'In Bloom' kit (which will be finished way before Christmas now) or my new project. I was itching to start this one since the Knitting and Stitching show when I bought this gorgeous, soft and bright Alpaca wool...


It was only £2.20 a ball from a little company called 'The Crochet Chain' in Essex. They have also been really helpful since then when I need to buy a bit more, so I will definitely be using them again.

Another reason I wanted to start this one was to try out my new hooks. When I learnt to knit about 5 years ago I initially used metal needles but then saw some bamboo ones in the shop and had to have them. Since then I've never knitted with anything other than wooden needles. When I started crocheting this year I went and bought some wooden hooks however someone told me that metal hooks are easier, especially with the smaller sizes, but I still didn't want to hold a metal hook. Then I found these at the show...


Best of both! Having tested them out I do agree that the metal hooks are nicer to use too. I didn't have a specific design in mind for the new wool and I did spend a bit of time on Ravelry trying to find some inspiration but in the end I decided to do some more ripples with this one too. It's just such a relaxing and therapeutic pattern and I wanted to perfect it too as the ripple blanket does have a few mistakes (especially at the start!).

I made a start, but it will take a while as I'm using a 2.5mm hook so these ripples are much smaller but so far so good...


I will keep you posted with our half term antics this week...keep reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...