Sunday 30 September 2012

Door Handles


I bet you have internal door handles? I bet you've never given them a second thought really? They are a new luxury to me. I waited 15 months for internal doors to be fitted on the ground floor of Vivod, and a further 5 months for handles! Its not that I am lazy, broke or have been unlucky with joiners. I live next door a great joiner which means, on the plus side, I get very cheap joinery...when it suits him (helped along by a little nagging from his wife thankfully). Anyway today, finally, the handles were fitted so I have spent a little time today simply opening and closing doors...because I can. Later I will amuse myself further by closing the door and waiting for the meow...hahahaha. No longer can the cat rule the temperature of my living room! 

Today has been a very productive day. I am now set for a stress free week, ironing done, shopping done (thanks Asda for substituting my vegetarian soup for one with bacon in(!)...genius...I now only have 3 days soup supplies for work...sigh). I did lots of baking! Another Bread Pudding (different recipe this time - tastes delicious), and a batch of Oat and Cherry cookies (very messy but equally delicious). 



So now is not the best time to vow that I will lose at least half a stone (or face the expense of new clothes). I will begin when the cookies are gone - luckily the nest return later so that should solve that one. I will keep you posted as to my weight loss progress...or lack of, as the case may be.

I did attempt to sort out my stash but didn't really get that far. This is the stash cupboard...


Doesn't really look that bad...but that's just what's in the cupboard. The real problem is the many bags and other containers that litter every room of my house containing more wool. A friend has offered a 'solution'. Vacuum bags. Granted it will allow me to fit more wool in the cupboard, however, I'm not sure it really helps the underlying problem of my tendency to buy wool faster than I can knit with it! That's another promise for another day. Besides...if I were to commit to using up the stash it would entail beginning new projects...and you know why I can't do that. In short, I tidied one shelf of the above mess, and closed the door. Rome wasn't built in a day!

I'm persevering with finishing the last book in the Fifty Shades trilogy. I did have to read other books in between each one for the sake of my own sanity. I sometimes wish I wasn't so stubborn in insisting on not giving up on books that I start. I had to read them though...they are the biggest selling books of the year but, like many of my friends that read books on a day to day basis, I wasn't that impressed with the writing. There are only so many eye rolling, lip biting, and palm twitching sentences I can read. The story is ok but a little long winded - surely one book would have sufficed? I am the one rolling my eyes at the friends that never normally read more than their Facebook news feed but suddenly began talking about how amazing the books were. Have they even heard of Waterstones or ventured into their local library? I doubt it. My sudden motivation for finishing the book is because I've been reading reviews for the new J.K. Rowling book - The Casual Vacancy. I never did read (or even watched) the Harry Potter series - Wizards and anything mythical just aren't my thing but I am quite curious about Rowling's first adult book. The reviews have been mixed so I think I might treat myself tomorrow and make up my own mind. Watch this space.

One thing I am really pleased about is that it is the last day of September. Being my least favourite month of the year, and I'm sure you now understand why, I'm quite pleased to see the back of it. Here's to a more calm October!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments...